The Northern Farm Training Institute (NFTI) is a not-for-profit society that aims to empower northerners, strengthen our communities and create sustainability through local food production. NFTI has been providing immersive farm training in Hay River for local residents of the NWT since 2013. We operate on a 260-acre dedicated working farm campus with cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, poultry, rabbits, greenhouses and gardens. Learn more about NFTI at www.nftinwt.com
We are looking to fill the following position:
Holistic Animal Manager
NOC # 0821
The role of the Holistic Animal Manager (HA Manager) is to plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations and functions of the NFTI farm campus according to the Holistic Management framework. This will include; maintenance of grazing and breeding plan, various ecological monitoring programs, yearly financial plan and forecasts.
Another major component of this role is to maintain the NFTI site as an Accredited Hub within the Savory global network. This is an integral position and in this capacity, the HA Manager will work closely with the President to help plan, design, implement and manage the whole organization, land and animal systems following HM principles.
The HA Manager reports to the President. Specific responsibilities include:
- Implementing and maintaining the NFTI campus operations under Holistic Management (including training and supporting other staff)
- Working with the President and staff to design NFTI’s planned grazing system
- Raising and breeding livestock, poultry and other animals using the Holistic Management platform
- Developing our marketing strategy
- Performing duties associated with maintaining NFTI’s Savory Hub accreditation
- Participating as a lead instructor for training and workshops NFTI offers related to Holistic Management
- Assist the Operations Manager with communications, directing staff meetings, web site maintenance, organizing and facilitating promotional events and other related work
- Minimum four years experience managing a farm with livestock using pasture-based grazing
- Experience managing an educational farm hub affiliated with the Savory Institute
- Be a Holistic Management Accredited Professional
- A university degree or college diploma in agricultural management or related studies is an asset
- Be fluent in English, and ability to speak French is an asset
Wage: $22/hour, plus on-site accommodations.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Kim at email@example.com
Come and join our exciting team!
20015 Mackenzie Highway, Hay River, NT X0E 0R4
Tel: (867) 875-8111